I wrote this post as part of a paid campaign with Plaid Crafts, Michaels, and Blueprint Social. The opinions in this post are my own.
I created a vintage whitewashed Valentines sign for my house, using the Spring Wood Surfaces sign board. I love the shape of the board and it already had the attached hanging rope.
I was lucky to get a great box of items. My box had the large sign board by Spring Wood Surfaces plus a large selection of wood letters. There were also bottles of Vintage Decor Paint with a chalk finish by Martha Stewart and the large Martha Stewart Brush.
First, I started by painting the board blue with the Navy Vintage Decor Paint.
I covered the entire board with a nice layer of paint and left it dry. The bottle says an hour between coats. So while that was drying I put a coat of the Terracotta on the wooden letters.
Then I walked away. It was tough but I followed the directions. I came back later and painted both the board and letters with a thin layer of the White Vintage Decor Paint.
Then once the paint has completely dried - 24 hours - then you can sand the layer of white down to expose some of the blue and terracotta underneath. Using a 220 piece of sand paper I attacked the board first. I wanted to really make it looked distressed so I sanded more of the white off. I tried a little bit at a time, then I wiped the whole thing down with a damp cloth. If it needed more color, then I sanded more off.
I used a small brush and the Terracotta paint to hand letter an ampersand and let the paint dry.
The sign was ready to hang and looks great in my living room.
Visit and Follow Plaid Crafts!
- Plaid Website:http://www.plaidonline.com/
- The Plaid Palette Blog:http://www.plaidonline.com/blog - The Plaid Palette is a source of inspiration with news about new product introductions, project ideas, tutorials from Plaid’s craft experts and giveaways.
- Newsletter:https://www.plaidonline.com/craft-newsletter-signup.aspx - Sign up for Plaid’s email newsletter for special coupons, project ideas and more!
- YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/plaidcrafts - Plaid’s YouTube channel features videos with product demonstration, special seasonal projects and ideas from top Craft Experts.
- Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/plaidcrafts
- Instagram:http://instagram.com/plaidcrafts - A look into daily life at Plaid and project inspiration.
- Google+: http://plus.google.com/+PlaidOnline